Why Hire a Chicago Drug Defense Lawyer?
A drug charge – whether wrongful or not – is never an easy situation to endure. Your future and your freedom are at stake. A guilty finding can lead to jail or prison time, significant fines, lost relationships, professional difficulties, and other consequences that may reverberate for years.
Drug charges may be the result of lengthy, complex investigations involving multiple law enforcement agencies. Your case may involve large amounts of evidence and require evaluation of the legality of searches; the reliability of testimony from a confidential informant or another witness; the process of evidence collection, identification, and storage; and other details.
When you’re charged with a drug crime, you should seek the help of a skilled Chicago drug defense lawyer who can help you make sense of your charge, explain the intricacies of your case, plot the best course of action, draw on experience with the process and the system, and work tirelessly on your behalf to reach the best possible resolution.
With the help of a great criminal defense lawyer, you may be able to get your charge dismissed or your penalties reduced so that you can move forward with your life and leave the stress and uncertainty of your drug charge behind you.
Possible Consequences of an Illinois Drug Offense
Drug charges can lead to consequences large and small, each of which may be felt for years to come. These are some of the common outcomes of Illinois drug charges:
- Jail or Prison Time – Some serious drug-related offenses may result in up to 60 years in prison.
- Fines – You may be ordered to pay fines of up to $500,000, depending on the charge, the type of drug, and the amount of the drug involved in the underlying offense.
- Child Custody – You may lose child visitation or custody rights after being found guilty of a drug offense, particularly if the offense was committed in the presence of your child.
- Professional Fallout – An employee may lose or be denied a professional license or accreditation.
- Financial Aid – You may no longer be eligible for financial aid to pay for higher education.
- Job and Housing Searches – A permanent criminal record may hinder someone’s ability to secure rental housing or find gainful employment.
How A Chicago Drug Defense Attorney Can Help
Because drug cases can be so complex, and the potential consequences of a drug charge so serious, you need to give yourself the best chance at a successful outcome by hiring a dedicated and experienced Chicago drug defense attorney to defend you.
A qualified Chicago drug defense attorney can help with several aspects of a criminal drug case. Those include:
- Investigation – An attorney can start representing you as soon as you know you’re the subject of a drug investigation, including when you’re questioned by police or when you or your property are being searched. A great defense lawyer can assert your constitutional rights regarding searches and seizures, help ensure that investigators act in accordance with the law while questioning or arresting you, and protect your rights when police use information from a confidential informant.
- Developing a solid defense – A great defense attorney will examine your case from every possible angle. That includes examining all of the facts of your case, investigating the circumstances surrounding your charge, filing all necessary paperwork, protecting your rights in court, challenging evidence obtained with illegal wiretaps or searches, negotiating potential plea deals, and explaining and any all relevant laws.
- Pleading for leniency – An attorney can attempt to convince a judge, jury, or prosecutor to be lenient in making decisions about the case, given a variety of factors involved.
- Drug diversion program – If you have no prior criminal history, you may be eligible to undergo substance abuse treatment in lieu of conviction and a jail or prison sentence.
- Getting the case dismissed – If the facts and law are on the defendant’s side, a drug defense attorney will work to get the case dismissed altogether.
Call Chicago Drug Defense Lawyer Michael O’Meara Today
If you’ve been charged with a drug crime in Illinois, there may be numerous factors at work. Perhaps you’ve fallen on hard times, struggle with mental illness, made a mistake, feel that your rights were violated, or wish to go to trial to show that you are not guilty of the charged crime.
Chicago drug defense lawyer Michael O’Meara is prepared to listen to your story and fight to get you the best possible outcome for your criminal drug charge. O’Meara takes pride in fully understanding your case, helping you understand the charge, and charting a successful path forward.
O’Meara is equipped with the experience and know-how to defend against common drug charges, with more than 20 years of experience as an attorney that includes both prosecuting and defending drug-related offenses.
Attorney O’Meara’s experience on both sides of the criminal process provides the insight necessary to understand the case from multiple angles, work with clients in a variety of situations, and develop the best possible defense strategy for your charge.
Contact O’Meara Law LLC today at 312-909-0706 to receive a free consultation about your case and discuss your options for a defense.