What Should I Do If I’m Arrested for Possession of Marijuana?

Published: May 19, 2017, by admin in Drug Crimes, Legal Blog

According to the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), 88 percent of marijuana charges are related to simple possession. Additionally, crimes involving pot account for more than half of all drug arrests. If you are a marijuana user, you need to be armed with the essential information in case you are charged with simple possession. There are a number of steps you can take to avoid a conviction and the penalties that follow.

With several successful decriminalization projects and pushes for legalization across the state of Illinois, many people are confused about the rules surrounding marijuana possession. Unfortunately, carrying pot is still a crime, with punishments including hefty fines and years spent in jail or prison. Chicago marijuana possession attorney Michael O’Meara has built his reputation on his ability to obtain good case outcomes for clients facing drug possession charges.

To find out how O’Meara Law can protect your freedom, call 312-909-0706 for a free consultation.

Remaining Silent After Arrest

When the police detain you based on the suspicion that you are in possession of marijuana, they may ask you a multitude of questions. You should remain silent. Anything you say can be used as evidence against you in court, and you may accidentally incriminate yourself even if you think you are talking yourself out of an arrest.

The officers may tell you that you must answer their questions or that you must follow them to the station. This is not true. The police can only detain you for a short amount of time before making the decision to officially arrest you. If they don’t develop the probable cause to arrest you, they must release you. If you want the police interaction to end, you may simply ask if you are actually under arrest.

You should only speak to the police when you politely decline to answer the officer’s questions and when you request the assistance of a lawyer after your arrest. If an officer is insisting that you answer incriminating questions before you have had a chance to confer with your attorney, you can simply remain silent. This is your constitutional right.

Hiring a Skilled Attorney

Many people mistakenly assume that a conviction for possessing marijuana will result in a simple slap on the wrist. In reality, cannabis possession can lead to felony charges, especially if you are caught with a significant amount. With so much at stake, the services of a public defender are not enough. These attorneys are overworked and overloaded. Many only have a few minutes to spend on each case.

In order to regain your freedom after being arrested for possession, you need the assistance of a skilled and experienced attorney. One thing to look for in a criminal defense lawyer is experience handling cases like yours. If a lawyer has helped dozens of people avoid criminal convictions for drug possession, it is likely that they can handle your case effectively. It is also important to select a lawyer who is willing to get to know you. If they do not listen to your side of the story, they will not present a compelling defense.

Contact O’Meara Law Today

If you have been charged with cannabis possession, there are several tactics that can be used to get your charges reduced or dismissed. For example, you may have been subjected to an illegal home or vehicle search at the time of your arrest. Without a warrant or probable cause, officers are not allowed to violate your privacy. It might also be the case that you were simply in the wrong place at the wrong time. Perhaps you were visiting a friend’s house, or maybe you were carpooling to work. There are a number of misunderstandings that can lead to criminal charges.

Attorney Michael O’Meara has been fighting for justice in the courtroom for over 20 years. He has helped many good people avoid the penalties of a drug crime conviction. He will do everything in his power to give your case the best possible chance of success.

Call O’Meara Law at 312-909-0706 today to see how you can put this nightmare behind you.